the de-binkying experience

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

we decided to take peyti's binky away before baby #2 comes
after some research and advice from one book in particular 
"On becoming pretoddler wise"
it seemed to make the most sense to help rid her of the binky..
On one hand, there wasn't much harm being done,
she only had it during sleep times,
but knowing she didn't really need it
and still giving it to her knowing she'd need to get rid of it soon enough didn't seem to make sense. 
so we wanted to help her detach before she starts seeing her brother with one,
and then trying to tell her she can't have one. 
I am so relieved with how things have played out. 

Day One
I removed all binkys from sight before putting her down for her afternoon nap. 
Before this, her routine was warm milk(sometimes in high chair sometimes jn bed) then we'd pray, she'd ask for binky and then hold her lamby and I'd lay her down and she'd sleep. 
Basically I waited til I was laying her down to give her milk, and when she said binky I just didn't acknowledge it, got her lamby and blanky, prayed with and for her, and laid her down. 
After 5 mins or so, probably when her milk ran out, she started whining.
"Mama mama mama" this went on intermittently for about one hour. Going from silence to whining to crying, never extreme thankfully but she wasn't happy and wasn't napping.. 
I rescued her a little before the one hour mark to be sure she wasn't poopy or something,
though my initial plan was to give her her binky cause I felt so guilty,
she spit it right out, and so I hid it right away like it didn't happen,
picked her up and tried to cuddle her,
cause I could tell she wasn't gonna lie down by herself.  
and she just said to me "books", so we read a book, cuddled, 
then she was happy as a clam and it was the end of the naptime window, 
so we spent a nice evening together as a family, having dinner,
 and walking around the city playing on different toys. 
When bedtime rolled around, we read stories, 
and I laid her down giving her her milk only when first getting to the bed. 
We prayed, she didn't make another peep! Hallelujah! 
I did do a lot of interceding though because I wanted her to be comforted,
 and I know God is able to be her Comforter as He is mine. 

Day Two
The wasn't even mention of her binky, 
at all her sleep times she was content to have some warm milk 
and go to sleep alone. 

to say the least it was smooth sailing from that point on
 and we are now proud parents of a de-binkied 20 month old
she is just as happy, and we are so thankful for how it all turned out!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments