Result of the Evangelism Course: Part 2

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

As we were out in the city during the large festival we met an acquaintance who asked what we were doing.  I honestly responded that we wanted to tell people about Jesus.  He, a Christian by name but not lifestyle (1 John 2:6), said “hey man you got to cool it with this Jesus stuff.  I don’t know if you realize but people are talking about you man.  I go by the basketball court and the skate park and guys are like ‘hey do you know Aaron?’ then they talk about how you go around trying to convert people.  Is that true?  Is that how you want people talking about you?”
“No I don’t want to convert people.”  I responded.  “I want people to repent and let God convert them!”

Then after some discussion the young man said “alright I find it bold what you do.  But I find it even bolder what you do” pointing at the young evangelist next to me. 
“What?  Why me?”  he asked.
“Because you are so young” responded the first.

I was shocked by the whole encounter.  I don’t know if any words have ever stirred my spirit so.  On the one hand I was moved to tears at the accusation that I overwhelm people but on the other hand I’ve never felt closer to God’s call.  Most encouraging was to hear his words about boldness.  Why?  Because that is exactly what we prayed for the first evening.  That is something many Germans are stereotypically lacking and that is also what the disciples had going for them as it says in Acts 4:13  “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus.”

Even better than all of this was that the next day Amy and I went out and found the same friend working a stand at the carnival.  He was talking with a young man who began talking with us and upon finding out our faith he began posing all his thoughts and questions regarding Christianity vs. other world views.  Having amply supplied reason for the supremacy of Christ over all other hopes of salvation he took from us an invitation with the name of a good church in his home city of Hamburg.  When I looked back at the other young man he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.  

While the freedom to physically abuse and kill Christians in Germany long disovled it doesnt mean that persecution has ever stopped.  2 Timothy 3:12 declares "Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted."  There really is a world of people most of whom are racing towards hell.  Unfortunatley, like a dog in a trap most people dont see that we are trying to help.  They think we are out to get them and they react like cornered animals.  Yet among the masses there are always those who God has prepared with noble hearts ready to openly discuss and reason and even recieve the implanted truth of the Word of God.  

"And God is not ashamed to be called their God for he has prepared for them a city." - Hebrews 11:16

The free gift of God; forgiveness of sins and eternal life with the creator of the heavens in the paradise of God

You Might Also Like

0 comments